Customise Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorised as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyse the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customised advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyse the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

12 C
Ennis
12 C
Ennis
HomeRegionalNorth ClareLahinch promenade masterplan completed by consultants

Lahinch promenade masterplan completed by consultants

Clare Champion Print Subscription

Clare County Council is currently preparing a programme of repair works to infrastructure damaged by the storms from December 13, 2013 to January 6, 2014. When completed, the programme will be submitted to the Central Emergency Response Unit of the Department of the Environment for approval.

This news emerged following a motion from Councillor Bill Slattery asking for an update on planned remedial works for Lahinch promenade and a timescale for when the work is expected to be completed.
He said he appreciated the work carried out in 2014 by the council but said more is needed. “Lahinch is one of the major seaside resorts in Munster,” he pointed out.

Councillor Slattery also questioned the masterplan, which he said he has not seen. The plan was referred to by senior executive engineer, Steve Lahiffe, in his written reply to the motion.

bill slattery

online pharmacy buy seroquel with best prices today in the USA
online pharmacy zantac no prescription

Councillor Bill Slattery has described the masterplan “as a joke”.

Councillor Slattery said, “This masterplan is a joke. Councillor Nagle was involved in a masterplan before I became a councillor and we’re still awaiting the fruits of that masterplan. I’m wondering is this just an answer to keep us happy?”

“Councillor Nagle wasn’t involved in the preparation of that masterplan. It was consultants that prepared it. Very little has happened with that masterplan ever since and I would support what Councillor Slattery has said,” Councillor Nagle replied.

“A design has been completed by consultants for the strengthening of the coastal defences of the promenade. This was done as part of the masterplan for Lahinch promenade,” Steve Lahiffe explained.

He said the proposal involves the strengthening of the existing sea wall, provision of an apron on the seaward side, strengthening of the revetment and the alteration of the existing access steps and slipway. This work requires a Part 8 planning application, due to its scale and is not considered exempt development.

“The works required at Lahinch promenade can essentially be divided into two separate elements; coastal protection and infrastructural repairs. The strategy adopted by Clare County Council to date is to repair the infrastructure necessary to faciliate the continued use of Lahinch as an amenity. To that end, much of the essential infrastructure including car parks, footpaths, railings and the lifeguard station have been repaired. The replacement caps for the sea wall are manufactured and will be erected in March,” the council engineer stated.

Furthermore, Mr Lahiffe said the old promenade requires repairs to the existing sea wall and the provision of a revetment to provide further protection. This will also require Part 8 planning.

The Part 8 applications are to be lodged shortly and construction is expected to start late this year.

“A completion date of early 2016 is achievable, subject to a smooth transition through the planning and environmental process and approval from the Department of the Environment. For elements that require a feasibility study, it is intended to apply to the Office of Public Works for funding for a feasibility study in February.

“When the coastal protection works are completed, it will be possible to commence major upgrading works to the land-side, in line with the masterplan for Lahinch promenade,” Mr Lahiffe concluded.

Peter O’Connell

online pharmacy purchase levaquin online no prescription

A native of Ennis, Colin McGann has been editor of The Clare Champion since August 2020. Former editor of The Clare People, he is a journalism and communications graduate of Dublin Institute of Technology.

This Week's Edition

Latest News

Advertisment
Advertisment
error: Content is protected !!