Home » News » No €250,000 camogie grant
Inagh-Kilnamona regained the under 21 A hurling title at Cusack Park this afternoon

No €250,000 camogie grant

DESPITE receiving confirmation this week that they are not to receive LEADER funding of up to €250,000, Clare camogie officials have said that the development of Fr McNamara Park on the Quin road will go ahead

“We are very disappointed that we won’t be getting this money but the project is going ahead and will be completed”, Clare board PRO, Brid McNamara told the Clare Champion.

The grant, in two lots, was announced at the beginning of 2013 towards the Clare organisation’s purchase and development plans for their new headquarters, Fr McNamara Park.

During the summer concern emerged that the funding might be withdrawn as the eligibility of the project for funding was being assessed. “There is a procedure there whereby all projects are assessed, Clare camogie treasurer, Michael Maher told the Clare Champion at the time.

President Michael D Higgins attended the official opening of the new pitch in Autumn 2012 and the venue has been used regularly for training and for some domestic fixtures since then.

Early in 2013 work commenced on the construction of dressing rooms. Money was borrowed on the strength of the promised grant aid but this work was suspended awaiting the outcome of the assessment.

That outcome was delivered to Clare camogie in the past week. “It’s a huge set back to the association in Clare but we are now appealing to all camogie supporters and supporters of ladies sport to row in behind us. We have a number of fundraising ventures organised and we are looking at other areas through which we can receive grand aid”, Ms McNamara said.

 

 

 

 

About Austin Hobbs

Austin Hobbs

Check Also

Champion Sports Chat Podcast Tuesday September 17th 2019

On this weeks podcast: Derrick Lynch, Peter O’Connell and Fergie O’Loughlin look back on the …

error: Content is protected !!