Customise Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorised as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyse the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customised advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyse the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

12 C
Ennis
12 C
Ennis
HomeBreaking NewsFurious reaction to newly revised blocks scheme

Furious reaction to newly revised blocks scheme

Clare Champion Print Subscription

DEEP disappointment was expressed, at a meeting in Ennis of homeowners affected by pyrite at the fact the revised grant scheme makes no mention of this county.
Despite the submission of a detailed technical report by the council in July and assurances in August from the Housing Minister that Clare would be given access to the grant within “a matter of weeks”, homeowners here are still waiting.
More than 50 people gathered for the event which was also attended by the Mayor of Clare, Councillor PJ Ryan, deputies Joe Carey and Cathal Crowe and senators Timmy Dooley and Martin Conway.
For Clare Pyrite Action Group’s second public meeting of the year, the tables were turned as members took the top table and politicians sat in the audience.
High on the agenda was the revised Defective Concrete Blocks Grant Scheme, unveiled on November 30 and still confined to Mayo and Donegal.
“Clare is nowhere in this scheme,” said Dr Martina Cleary, founder of the action group. “Not one word, not a mention. It’s a €2.2 billion scheme and there is not a single mention of County Clare. Instead, they’re delaying, time-wasting and pushing us from pillar to post.”
The long-awaited grant scheme was reformulated in the months following a huge protest in Dublin in June, calling for an increase in redress from 90 to 100% of costs.
Séamus Hanley of Drumline was sharply critical, as he outlined the shortfall for homes of different sizes.
“The sliding scale after the contribution of €145 for the first 1,000 feet is as clear as mud,” he said.
“We’re told that’s because ‘economies of scale’ can be achieved. The fact is that there will be a shortfall in all cases.”
Figures generated by the action group estimate that, in the case of a 1,000 square foot home, there will be €5,000 shortfall and the grant will give 96.67% redress.
For a home of 2,800 square foot, the shortfall would be €85,000 and the level of redress 79.76%.
A house of 3,800 square foot would incur a shortfall of €150,000 and redress would account for 73.68% of costs.
“This is touted to all and sundry as a great grant,” Mr Hanley said.
“The fact is, 100% redress is non-existent. So many things are running short, it’s almost as bad as it was before. It would be funny if it wasn’t such a serious issue.
“There is no other way except to go out on the streets. No account at all has been taken of demolition costs and site clearance. There’s nothing to cover the costs of a kitchen or professional fees, nothing towards windows and doors.”
Joe O’Donnell of Newmarket-on-Fergus described the €420,000 maximum grant as “a myth”.
“Nobody will rebuild their home without coming up with multiple thousands of Euros. It’s not a sliding scale, it’s an avalanche of costs.
“They would want to go back to bed and dream something else up. They must go back to the drawing board.”
“The sliding scale has to go,” insisted Mary Hanley, vice-chairperson of the action group.
Some politicians agreed that the new scheme has problematic elements.
“It’s a flawed scheme,” said Deputy Joe Carey. “I have asked the Taoiseach to remove the sliding scale. Remediation costing €67,000 is out of reach for many.
“My colleague in Donegal Joe McHugh is against the sliding scale too. It is desperately disappointing and needs to change.
“It’s not practical or fit-for-purpose. It will be interesting to see how Mayo and Donegal react.”
Senator Timmy Dooley described the issue of the sliding scale as “for another day” and said the priority is to get Clare into the scheme.
Senator Martin Conway agreed that the new grant is limited. “It is a flawed scheme,” he said. “There are serious problems that need to be address and worked through.”

online pharmacy prednisone no prescription pharmacy
online pharmacy order abilify online with best prices today in the USA
online pharmacy orlistat for sale no prescription
online pharmacy buy pepcid no insurance with best prices today in the USA

This Week's Edition

Latest News

Advertisment
Advertisment
error: Content is protected !!