Home » Sports » Controversial ending to tempestuous tie

Controversial ending to tempestuous tie

Garry Cup

St Joseph’s 0-7
Lissycasey 0-6

A POINT from David O’Brien in the second minute of injury time decided this Garry Cup (Division 2) football league semi-final in St Joseph’s favour at Ballyea on Saturday evening.
Three minutes later, Lissycasey had a chance to tie up the game but Martin Daly’s effort from 40m was waved wide despite some claims the ball had gone inside the upright.
From the outset, there was no shortage of needle in this tie and both sides finished the game with 14 men. Indeed, the number of players on the field at the final whistle could have been less but referee Damien Fox adopted a lenient approach to some incidents, including a major punch-up near the end.
Points were exchanged twice in the opening quarter with Lissycasey’s Francis Hayes and Dermot Nagle responding to efforts from Enda Lyons and Johnnie O’Brien for the Doora-Barefield outfit; Nagle’s score being the only one from play.
Lissycasey took the lead when Colin Lynch converted a 20m free after Dermot Nagle was hauled down as he headed for goal. Lissycasey were four points to three ahead when the half-time whistle sounded but the margin should have been greater as they had missed a couple of easy scoring chances.
Four minutes before the break, Lissycasey were reduced to 14 men after Barry Keating was sent off after the umpire had called the referee’s attention to an incident.
Nine minutes into the second half, Doora-Barefield were also down to 14 men when defender Ger Fannin was dismissed. Both dismissals were on second yellow cards.
With the rain getting heavier, conditions were difficult for players, which resulted in errors on both sides. Lissycasey went two points clear early in the second half but the introduction of Colm Mullen was to prove vital for the winners as he landed three points from placed balls in the second half, the third levelling the game for the fourth time with nine minutes remaining.
This was still the position with the game deep in the second minute of injury time. From an acute angle David O’Brien landed what proved to be the winning point.
Both goalkeepers, Declan O’Keeffe for the winners and Joe Hayes, were called on to make some saves. Hayes saved well from Eoin Kane at the three-quarter stage shortly after O’Keeffe had pulled off a fine save from Matt O’Shea.
Stephen Collins and Niall White were strong throughout in the winner’s defence while others to do well were Kevin Dilleen and substitute Colm Mullen.
Sean Hill, Niall Kelly, Michael Melican, Colin Lynch and Alan Nagle were Lissycasey’s best on the evening.

St Joseph’s: Declan O’Keeffe; Ger Fannin, Niall White, Sean Flynn; Keith Whelan, Stephen Collins, Ivor White; Mark Raftery, Kevin Dilleen; David O’Brien (0-1) Cathal O’Sullivan, Paul Dullaghan; Enda Lyons (0-2) Johnnie O’Brien, Eoin Kane.
Subs: Colm Mullen (0-3) for O’Sullivan; Greg Lyons for Dullaghan; O’Sullivan for D O’Brien.
Lissycasey: Joe Hayes, Michael Melican, Sean Hill, Niall Kelly; James Kelly, Barry Keating, Ger Murphy; Colin Lynch, Matt O’Shea; Francis Hayes, Danny Lynch, Alan Nagle; Derek McMahon, Dermot Nagle, Óisin Talty.
Subs: Paudie Carmody for McMahon; Martin Daly for D Nagle.
Referee: Damian Fox, Wolfe Tones.

About News Editor


Check Also

Emotional Garrihy Bowed But Not Beaten After Munster Championship Exit

Anyone who knows Donie Garrihy knows that he wears his heart on his sleeve, and …

error: Content is protected !!