Home » Sports » Worth waiting a decade for a Tulla title

Worth waiting a decade for a Tulla title

Tulla United A 5  Kilrush Rangers 3 (after extra time)
TULLA United A captured their first piece of silverware at adult level in a decade when they overcame Kilrush Rangers in the first division league cup final at the county grounds in Doora on Sunday.

They took the lead after six minutes when Alan Brigdale scored but Kilrush levelled midway through the half when Stephen O’Gorman was on target.The Kilrush defence braces itself for a free kick from Gearóid O’Doherty. Photograph by Declan Monaghan
The East Clare side went back in front when Keith Lenihan was on target but, again, Kilrush hit back and they levelled through Eoin Fitzgerald before taking the lead through Robert Clancy. As the game went into injury time, it looked as if the title was heading for West Clare but in the fifth minute of added time, Andy McMahon got the vital touch and Tulla were level.
This sent the game into extra time and it was clear that Kilrush were rattled. Tulla scored twice in the first period, through James O’Hagan who headed to the net three minutes into the additional time and Alan Brigdale who scored his second 10 minutes in to seal the win, the club’s first at adult level since they won the second division title ten years ago.
**After the game, Tulla captain Keith Lenihan was presented with the cup by Clare league chairman Jim Madden.
Mick Placke puts pressure on Sunny Jay of Tulla. Photograph by Declan MonaghanTulla United: Shane Collins; Niall Whelan, Gearóid O’Doherty, James O’Hagan, Denis Murphy, Brian Hehir, Seosamh O’Loughlin, Shane Mason, Eoin Ryan, Keith Lenihan, Alan Brigdale.
Subs: Mike McDermott, Andy McMahon, Paudge Vaughan, Sunny Jay, Ricky Collins.
Kilrush Rangers: Ger Griffin; Seán Downes, Kevin Clohessy, Martin Danaher, Johnnie O’Connor, David Tubridy, Robert Carey, Brian Harte, Seán Lahiffe, Trevor Clancy, Stephen O’Gorman.
Subs: Eoin Fitzgerald for Carey; James Duffy for Lahiffe, Jamie Gilligan for O’Connor.

Bridge Celtic B 3  St Pat’s 1
BRIDGE Celtic B were deserving winners of the third division league cup final at the county grounds in Doora on Sunday. They led 1-0 at half-time and added two more in the second half to take a commanding lead before conceding a consolation goal to St Pat’s in the closing stages. The West Clare side’s goalscorer was Shane Mangan who missed a penalty early in the second half when his side trailed by a goal.
The winners had their goals from Alan Conroy, Conor Hynes and Johnnie Howard. After the game, Clare league chairman Jim Madden presented the trophy to their captain, Patrick Conway.
Bridge Celtic B: Paul O’Connell; Dermot McCarthy, Eoin Conway, Luke Turner, Patrick Conway; Stephen Howard, Johnnie Howard, Alan Conway, Noel Howard; Conor Hynes, Dean Synott.
Subs: Damian McCarthy, Diarmuid Ahern, Paudie Phillips.
St Pat’s: David Foley; David Rigney, Paul Reidy, Johnnie Sullivan, Colm O’Gorman, Seán McNamara, Rory Mohally, John Hickey, Mark Hennessy, Noel Sexton, Shane Mangan.
Subs: Shane Donlon, James Egan, Damian Lineen, Neil Johnson, Dermot Kelly.


About News Editor

Check Also

Joy for east Clare combo with U13B hurling title

Scariff-Ogonnelloe 3-14 Clooney-Quin 2-8 A blistering start that saw Scariff-Ogonnelloe fire 1-1 in the opening …