Home » Sports » Tulla stage comeback to beat Rock Rovers

Tulla stage comeback to beat Rock Rovers

Rock Rovers  2   Tulla United  3
Despite going a goal behind in the early minutes of this premier league tie, Tulla United emerged as deserving winners and now find themselves in second place on the league table as the Christmas break approaches.

Barry Woods of Rock Rovers (left) battles for possession with Tommy McKeown of Tulla United. Photograph by Declan MonaghanThe importance of this Sunday morning tie, played at Lees Road, was reflected in the attendance of members of other teams in the premiership, notably Ennis sides, Avenue United and Hermitage, both of whom are also challenging for honours.
High flying Rock Rovers can have few complaints about the outcome of this tie as they struggled, particularly in the second half, to cope with the Tulla challenge. They got off to a dream start and took the lead when Marty McLoughlin headed to the net with less than ten minutes played. They had marginally the better of the play for the remainder of the half but yet struggled to trouble the Tulla defence.
In the closing minutes of the half it was noticeable that Tulla were getting a grip on proceedings and they should have scored shortly before half time when Darragh Corry put Alan Brigdale through but the latter delayed too long and the chance was lost.
On the changeover Tulla took a grip on proceedings. The introduction of Colin Nelson caused problems for Rock and with Alan Brigdale proving a real handful for the Ennis side’s defence, it wasn’t long until the tide turned.
Crusheen man Brigdale was taken down in the area for the penalty which Denis Murphy converted to tie up the team with just under ten minutes of the second half played. Brigdale was, without question, the player who caused the problems for Rock in this half and he gave them the lead when he headed to the net following a corner by Tommy McKeown at the mid-point of the half approached.
Eoin Glynn passes under pressure from Tulla’s Alan Brigdale. Photograph by Declan MonaghanInside the last ten minutes he struck again when his shot from just outside the area beat Eric Murphy.
In an effort to salvage something from the tie, Rock made changes and introduced both Daryl Eade and Stephen Hickey. The latter came close from a free kick but his effort was turned behind for a corner.
With three minutes remaining a Barry Woods effort beat the Tulla defence to reduce the margin but time ran out for Rock and Tulla deservingly captured the points.
Rock Rovers: Eric Murphy; Mikey Dinan, Ronan Judge, Shane Daniels, Francis Daniels, Jason White, Barry Woods, David Considine, Dean Gardiner, Eoin Glynn, Marty McLoughlin.
Subs: Daryl Eade; Eoin Glynn.
Tulla United A: Shane Collins; Paudge Vaughan, Niall Whelan, Padraic O’Malley, Denis Murphy; John Brigdale, Seosamh O’Loughlin, Shane Mason, Alan Brigdale, Darragh Corry, Tommy McKeown;
Subs: Colin Nelson for Vaughan; Gearóid O’Doherty for Mason; Brian Hehir for McKeown.
Referee: Martin O’Brien.

Newmarket Celtic A 4   Bridge Celtic A 1
Newmarket Celtic A extended their lead at the top of the premier league with this comfortable win.
They took the lead midway through the first half when Eoin O’Brien scored and this goal separated the sides at half time.
Fifteen minutes into the second half Gary Collins doubled their lead and within five minutes he struck for another to leave the home side in a commanding position.
Bridge Celtic pulled one back with 15
minutes remaining when Conor Hynes scored but Newmarket hit back and Martin O’Neill had the final say with the team’s fourth goal.
Newmarket Celtic A: Marty Whelan; David O’Grady, Eoin O’Brien, Michael Devitt, Darren Cullinan; Seamus Lawlor, Colin Ryan, Mike O’Malley, Michael Crosby; Martin O’Neill Gary Collins.
Subs: Mark O’Malley for O’Grady; Pa Coughlan for Crosby; Seamus Considine for Mike O’Malley.
Bridge Celtic A: Adrian Dhouig; Rob Seymour, William Slattery, Trevor Howard, Rob Cassidy; Nicky O’Connell, Paul McEvoy, Ger O’Connell, Cathal O’Connell; Conor Hynes, Ryan Morris.
Subs: Ciaran Aherne, Barry O’Connell, Diarmuid Aherne.

Rineanna Rovers 0   Hermitage 1
(Abandoned midway through first half)
Referee Dave McCarthy abandoned this tie midway through the first half at a time when Hermitage were a goal ahead thanks to a Ger Dullaghan effort from the penalty spot.
Minutes later, the match official dismissed Rineanna’s Stephen Kelly and things got a little heated leading to his decision to call off the game.
The Clare league will decide on what happens next when they study the referee’s report.
Rineanna Rovers A: Jason Casey; Neil Mills, Dean Richter, Enda Kelly, Pat Fahy; Stephen Kelly, Damian O’Rourke, Kieran Keane, Gary O’Connell, Johnnie Okoru, Sean O’Connor.
Hermitage A: Joe Burke; Davy Moloney, Alan O’Riordan, PJ Harnett, Rhys Phillips; Ger Dullaghan, Paul Dullaghan, Seanie McGee, Ritchie Fitzgerald; Eoin O’Meara-Daly, Eddie Killeen.
Sub: Eoin Kane for O’Meara-Daly (inj).
Referee: Dave McCarthy.


About News Editor

Check Also

Semi-final spots up for grabs in race for Canon Hamilton

Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Finals Newmarket-on-Fergus v Wolfe Tones @ Cusack Park, Saturday 1.30pm A golden …