Home » Tag Archives: fire (page 2)

Tag Archives: fire

man treated after Ennis house fire

One man was taken to University Hospital Limerick (UHL) as a precaution following a house fire in Ennis on Sunday . Emergency services were called to the scene after 6pm on Sunday when a fire was reported at a house on the Tulla Road near the entrance to the Castlerock Housing Estate. Two units of the fire brigade, an ambulance and gardaí responded to the incident, arriving within minutes. When firemen arrived they found the house was smoke logged. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house to check there was no one inside. They quickly located a fire in the kitchen area and brought it under control. It is understood the fire originated in the kitchen in the vicinity of the cooker. Firemen also vented the house by opening all the windows and by using positive pressure ventilated fans. This process involves using large petrol driven fans to blow fresh air into the dwelling and to get rid of any smoke. No major external damage was caused to the outside of the building. One man was treated at the scene by National Ambulance Service paramedics and was later taken to University Hospital Limerick (UHL) as a precaution. The Clare Fire and Rescue Service has categorised the incident as a relatively minor fire as there was no significant injuries or damage.   Dan Danaher  

Read More »

Emergency landing at Shannon

AN American Airlines flight from Miami to Paris was forced to divert to Shannon this morning. It is understood that an emergency landing was required due to signs of a fire in the cargo hold. Emergency services met the plane upon it landing. American Airlines have tweeted that they expect the flight to leave Shannon again at around 1pm. One of the passengers on board tweeted, “Great start to our European adventure. We’re safe. Looks like it was a false alarm.” He also put up a picture of the plane alongside two fire brigades and an ambulance as well as a number of emergency services personnel and passengers.  

Read More »

Fire service warning on stoves

THE danger of an incorrectly installed stove flue was highlighted, when a fire broke out at a home in Ennis last week. Units of the fire service based in Ennis were called to a house for what was first thought to be a chimney fire. However, it emerged that the fire was the result of an incorrectly installed stove flu. This latest incident has prompted Clare County Fire and Rescue Service to renew the appeal it made just last month for householders to review the building regulations relating to heat-producing appliances and to ensure stoves and flues are installed correctly. The fire service said the rising popularity of stoves in recent years has led to an increase in emergency call-outs to stove-related domestic fires and incidences of carbon monoxide build-up in homes across Clare. Adrian Kelly, Clare chief fire officer, said, “Fires can occasionally be due to the poor installation of stoves and flues. Some of these fires have caused …

Read More »

Christmas fire risk warning

Clare County Fire and Rescue Service has issued an appeal to the public to remain fire safety aware over the Christmas period. The fire service says the main causes of fire during the festive season are candles left unprotected, fairy lights left on all night or improperly wired, Christmas trees falling over, open fires without fireguards, and decorations catching fire. Clare chief fire officer Adrian Kelly says people should familiarise themselves with the fire safety advice available on www.clarecoco.ie and www.fireireland.ie. He added, “Christmas is a time for celebrating with families but it also is a time when extra fire hazards appear such as fairy lights, candles, open fires and decorations. I encourage householders across Clare to think about fire safety ahead of and during the Christmas period to avoid the risk of their Christmas being ruined.” “Open fires are used for longer periods during the winter and Christmas period as people spend a lot more time at home. Electrical …

Read More »
Emergency services at the scene of a fire on Market Street, Ennis.

Ennis building gutted after fire

  A derelict building in the centre of Ennis was gutted following a fire on Thursday night. The Clare Fire Service were called to the scene of a fire in the former O’Neill’s Furniture Store in Lower Market Street, Ennis at around 9.41 pm. Three units of the Ennis Fire Brigade and one from Shannon worked to bring the fire under control. It is understood that the blaze started at the rear of the unused premises, which fronts onto Carmody Street and quickly spread to the front part. The road near the building was closed off while the firemen were battling the blaze and traffic was diverted with the assistance of Ennis Gardaí. One person in an adjoining property was evacuated as a result of suffering from what was described by Clare Chief Fire Officer, Adrian Kelly as a small amount of smoke inhalation and treated by ambulance personnel. Having secured and tided up the building, the last fire brigade left …

Read More »

Fire at water treatment plant

Emergency services were called to deal with a fire at the Ennis Water Treatment Plant at Drumcliffe, serving the town and surrounding areas, this morning.The plant supplies drinking water to 30,000 customers in the area. Iris Water said the plant was immediately shut down in order to isolate electricity to the affected area but there was no impact on water supply as customers continued to be serviced from a reservoir attached to the plant. Full production recommenced at the plant at 6.30am and will be increased over the course of the day to replenish supplies at the reservoir.

Read More »

Dramatic scenes as students evacuated from bus

A bus carrying students from Ennis to Cork burst into flames as it was driven through the town of Buttevant on Monday. The dramatic scenes were captured by eyewitness John Sweeney from Clare who was a passenger in a passing vehicle. He told The Clare Champion, “There was a lot of smoke, there were no flames but there was a smell of burning rubber. It looked like all the kids were off the bus and everyone was ok.” @clarechampion pic.twitter.com/bZvRAu5Gn6 — John Sweeney (@sundaycottage) April 25, 2016 It is understood that the driver of the bus has been taken to hospital for treatment, and all of the students are reported as safe and well. Firefighters from Mallow and Charleville arrived at the scene to fight the blaze and the road was closed for a time.

Read More »

Shannon fire under control

A SPOKESMAN for the Clare fire service has said that a fire at Thermo King in Shannon has been brought under control. Large plumes of smoke have been wafting into the sky above the industrial estate this afternoon, while workers had to leave their posts. The fire service spokesman said that only units of the Shannon fire brigade had been required to tackle the blaze and that they had brought it under control relatively quickly.   Owen Ryan  

Read More »