Home » Tag Archives: Clare Fire Service

Tag Archives: Clare Fire Service

Clare Fire Service issues Christmas safety reminder

CLARE County Fire and Rescue Service is urging members of the public to remain fire safety aware during the Christmas period. The fire service says the main causes of fire during the festive season are candles left unprotected, fairy lights left on all night or improperly wired, Christmas trees falling over, open fires without fireguards, and decorations catching fire. “Christmas is a time for celebrating with families but it also is a time when extra fire hazards appear such as fairy lights, candles, open fires and decorations. I encourage householders across Clare to think about fire safety ahead of and during the Christmas period to avoid the risk of their Christmas being ruined,” Clare Chief Fire Officer Adrian Kelly said. “Open fires are used for longer periods during the winter and Christmas period as people spend a lot more time at home. Electrical items and extension leads are also used more. Add in flammable decorations, candles and alcohol and it becomes …

Read More »

Carbon monoxide risk with stoves

Clare County Fire and Rescue Service is urging householders to review the building regulations relating to heat producing appliances to ensure stoves and flues are installed correctly. The rising popularity of stoves in recent years has led to an increase in emergency callouts to stove-related domestic fires and incidences of carbon monoxide build-up in the home, according to the fire service. Adrian Kelly, Clare chief fire officer, said, “Fires can occasionally be due to the poor installation of stoves and flues. Some of these fires have caused substantial damage to the surrounding building and consequently, have put lives at risk. “Stoves burn at very high temperatures and therefore, the appliance and the flues need to be installed correctly. They should be clearly spaced from any timber or combustible materials. Insulated flues that pass through ceilings and walls need to be spaced and/or encased correctly.” Current guidance advises that when a new heating stove is installed, carbon Monoxide detectors should be …

Read More »

Fire Service responds to Ennis odour

Clare Fire Service responded to an emergency call out this Friday morning reports of  odours being  detected in O’Connell Street, Ennis. The street was sealed off  to traffic while the fire crew flushed out drains. There have been a number of similar incidents in the Ennis town centre area in recent years. A Clare County Council spokesman said heavy rainfall had resulted in a sewerage drain becoming blocked and the smell was as a result of gases that had built up. The hosing out of the drains would resolve the matter, he added.

Read More »

Firemen to hose cars for charity

Over 50 firefighters will display their cleaning skills at seven locations throughout the county to raise money for children with special needs. The Clare Fire and Rescue Service has teamed up with Clare Crusaders Children’s Clinic to organise a charity car wash this Saturday from 10am to 4pm. People can get their car washed outside fire stations in Ennis, Shannon, Scariff, Kilrush, Church Street car park in Ennistymon; SuperValu, Killaloe and the Square, Kilkee. All donations will go to the clinic. Senior assistant fire chief, Tom Burke, said the fire service is delighted to be associated with the clinic, which provides hundreds of children in the county with free therapy. He encouraged anyone who needs their vehicle washed to consider supporting the event.

Read More »

Fire Chief: bonfires a dangerous and costly tradition

With the Hallowe’en season upon us. Clare County Council is urging members of the public not to supply any waste material to persons who do not hold a valid waste collection permit. Clare County Fire and Rescue Service says that substantial costs are incurred each Halloween in responding to bonfire-related incidents, as well as cleaning up after bonfires have taken place. In 2013, the Fire Service attended seven bonfires at a cost of €8,800. Meanwhile, the environment section of Clare County Council has warned that uncontrolled burning of waste, particularly in bonfires, is illegal under the Air Pollution Act, 1987, and the Waste Management Act, 1996, as amended. It said the burning of waste also releases toxic pollutants into the air which are known to be damaging to public health and the environment. “I am appealing to the public to work with the staff of Clare County Council and Clare Fire and Rescue Service during the forthcoming Halloween festivities and …

Read More »

Fire Safety Week highlights winter risks

With the sudden onset of cold weather, Clare’s chief fire officer, Adrian Kelly has called on people to ensure their smoke alarms are in good working order. Speaking at the launch of National Fire Safety Week 2014, Mr Kelly issued a timely reminder that the risk of fire breaking out in the home significantly increases during winter. The Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government is hosting the 13th annual all-island initiative through to next Monday, in association with the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service and locally with Clare County Fire & Rescue Service. Mr Kelly said that unclean chimney flues and unguarded open fires are amongst the most common causes of domestic fires in Clare each winter. He noted that the theme of this year’s National Fire Safety Week campaign is “Let’s STOP fire together”. He explained,”The ‘STOP’ in the campaign slogan captures the key behaviours that will help people stop fires starting and therefore reducing the number of …

Read More »