Home » Sports » Newmarket Celtic go marching on
Newmarket Celtic's Niall Quinn is expected to start between the posts this weekend. Photograph by John Kelly.

Newmarket Celtic go marching on

Newmarket Celtic 1 St. Michaels, Tipperary 1

(after extra time)

Newmarket won 4-3 on penalties

Newmarket Celtic are through to round 7 of the FAI junior cup thanks to victory over a fancied St. Michaels from Tipperary before a big attendance at McDonough park in Newmarket this afternoon. The win sees the Clare champions extend their winning run and keeps their hopes of success in a number of competitions alive. Next week the attention switches to the Munster junior cup as they travel to Cork for a round 3 tie.

[doptg id=”91″]

This afternoon’s victory was, without doubt, their biggest to date. The sides met in the same competition last season at the Tipperary club’s venue when the home side got through on a 2-1 scoreline.

The visitors made the better start this time out and took the lead after just eleven minutes when capitalising on a defensive error and Padraig Fogarty’s low effort roled into the corner of the net.

As the game progressed the home side, inspired by an outstanding display from central defender Stephen Kelly, began to win more possession and they levelled in the twenty first minute when Kelly headed home a pin point corner from Eoin Hayes, punishing some hesitancy in the visitor’s defence.

St. Michaels came close to going back in front in the opening minute of the second half and it took a fine save from the home side’s goalkeeper Niall Quinn to deny the visitors in the sixteenth minute.

Urged on by the big home crowd, Newmarket piled on the pressure and and David McCarthy and Ronan McCormack came close with good efforts before the final whistle.

The tempo of the game increased in extra time but the respective defences continued to dominate and at the end of this period the teams were still level which resulted in a penalty shoot out.

St. Michaels took the lead through David Slattery but Eoin Hayes levelled,. Joe Mulcahy put the visitors back in front only for Cathal Hayes to level. Richard Ryan scored penalty number three for the visitors and then Newmarket hearts sank when Paddy Purcell’s effort flew over the top. Newmarket goalie Niall Quinn came to the rescue when he saved from Michael Ryan before Stephen Kelly converted for Celtic to level the shoot out at 3-3 with one penalty each remaining. Irish junior international Jimmy Carr was next up for St. Michaels but his effort was saved by Niall Quinn which left Seamie Lawlor wth the opportunity to put Newmarket into the seventh round and he duly obliged when finding the corner of the net.

Stephen Kelly, Seamie Lawlor, Paddy Purcell and David O’Grady excelled for the winners.

Newmarket Celtic; Niall Quinn; Seamie Lawlor, David O’Grady, Paddy Purcell, Stephen Kelly, Alan Kelly, Michael Crosby, Eoin Hayes, Colin Smyth, Ronan McCormack, Dave McCarthy;

Subs—Brian Monaghan for Crosby (inj). Cathal Hayes for McCormack;

St. Michaels; Aaron Wall; Michael Ryan, John O’Brien, Paul Breen, Brian Buckley; Joey Mulcahy, Richard Ryan, David Slattery Padraig Fogarty David Grimcell, Jimmy Carr;

Referee; Martin O’Brien; Linesmen; Terry Kennedy, Mark Rellis;

By Seamus Hayes

Check Also

Regicidal tendencies fuel Clare’s quest

Unquestionably the biggest current rivalry in hurling, the stakes were raised considerably higher for Clare’s …