Home » Sports » League glory for Clooney-Quin

League glory for Clooney-Quin


Clooney-Quin 3-8
Newmarket 3-7

IN a nail-biting game, Clooney ladies beat Newmarket to win the intermediate football league final.
Having lost to Newmarket in the first round, the Clooney-Quin girls were determined to turn the result around in the final. The game was played in perfect conditions in Newmarket with strong support for both sides present.
Clooney Quin played with a slight breeze in the first half and settled into the game quicker with early scores from Orlaith Duggan and Jessica O’Neill. They stretched their advantage with a great goal from Orlaith Duggan after some slick passing involving Siabdh Corbett and Deirdre Murphy.
Newmarket replied with a point before Clooney-Quin added two more from Jessica O’Neill and Deirdre Murphy. Clooney-Quin dominated this period of the game and finished off with another goal from Ashling Hannon to leave it 2-4 to 0-1 at half-time.
Newmarket started the second half with an increased tempo and soon added a goal and two points to their tally, in addition to 1-1 from Jenny Kelly and a point from Zelika Browne. Newmarket stepped up the pressure and now began to dominate the key areas around midfield.
However, Clooney Quin weren’t done yet. A surging Deirdre Murphy run resulted in a cross goal ball, which was accidentally punched to the net by a Newmarket defender. This left the scoreline at 3-4 to 1-3 in favour of the winners with 15 minutes to go. Newmarket took this set-back in their stride. Their half-forward line began to stretch the Clooney-Quin backs and they soon added a brace of points with scores from Carol O’Leary and Zelika Brown. Following a great run by Niki Kaiser, Newmarket scored a goal.
The pace of the game now increased with Newmarket sensing a comeback and Clooney-Quin on the ropes. Clooney-Quin settled their nerves and with great scores from Kelly McClean, Jessica O’Neill and Orlaith Duggan, they stayed ahead as the game entered the final 10 minutes.
Again, Newmarket surged forward with attacks rewarding them with a goal and a point. The game entered the last few minutes with Newmarket looking for the score to draw the match.
However, Clooney-Quin, through their captain and full-back, Gemma Hasset, marshalled the defence to hold out until the final whistle.
This is the club’s first trophy in this grade since joining the intermediate ranks in 2008.

Clooney-Quin: Meghan Kitson; Emma Sheedy, Gemma Hasset (captain), Amy Ryan; Ashling Corbert, Mary Clune, Kate McCarthy; Deirdre Murphy, Kelly McClean; Orlaith Duggan, Jessica O’Neill, Ashling Hannon; Siobhán McCarthy, Siabdh Corbert, Marie Hehir.
Subs: Síle Daffy, Hannah O’Brien, Edwina McCarthy, Siobhán Lee and Clodagh Ryan.

Newmarket: Ruth Kaiser; Áine Lawlor, Stephanie Halpin, Maria Kennelly; Jane O’Leary, Iris Kaiser, Katie Haynes; Róisín McMahon, Áine O’Brien; Zelika Browne, Carol O’Leary, Carol Kaiser; Jenny Browne, Gemma McInerney, Claire Arthur.
Subs: Mary Hayes, Joanne Hartigan, Sarah McInerney, Clodagh Lawlor, Niki Kaiser and Chloe Morey.

Referee: Shane Hehir (Miltown).

Clare girls beaten in Munster U-14 final

Tipperary 3-13
Clare 3-4

THE Clare ladies U-14B team failed in their bid to win back-to-back Munster titles when they played Tipperary last Saturday. A physically stronger Tipperary ruled the aerial contest and the only Clare forwards to threaten were Orla Devitt and Áine Brown, who scored 1-2 between them in the first half.
The home side’s half-backs and midfielders held the upper hand throughout this period and they were full value for their half-time lead of 2-5 to 1-2. Tipperary scores came from Sarah Ryan, Aisling McCarthy and Maeve O’Gorman.
In the second half, Clare piled on the pressure but this failed to translate into scores. With 10 minutes to go, both sides exchanged scores with the Clare goals coming from Orla Devitt, one from a penalty. Tipperary finished with 1-4 in the last six minutes and there was no doubting their superiority on the day.
Best for Clare were Rachel O’Toole, Sinéad Considine and Gráinne Harvey in defence. Jenny Ryan and Katie Connole tried hard in midfield, while up front Orlaith Devitt was Clare’s best forward.

Clare: Aoife O’Neill (Éire Óg); Rachel O’Toole (Wolfe Tones), Sinéad Considine (Liscannor), Claire Chadda (Éire Óg); Róisín Considine (Liscannor), Gráinne Harvey (West Clare Gaels), Ciara Davenport  (Doora-Barefield); Jenny Ryan (Kilrush), Katie Connole (Burren Gaels); Tara Comber (Kilmurry Ibrickane) (0-2), Laura Rynne (Miltown), Carla Behan (Shannon Gaels); Orla Devitt (Éire Óg) (2-2), Áine Brown (Kilrush) (1-0), Fionnula Nagle (Fergus Rovers).
Subs used: Marie Foran (West Clare Gaels), Joanne Howley (Burren Gaels), Siobhán Marrinan (West Clare Gaels) and Eva O’Dea (Banner).


About News Editor

Check Also

HURLING: Clare and Limerick tee up Munster Final rematch

Munster Senior Hurling Championship Round 4 Clare 0-24 Limerick 1-21 CLARE extended their unbeaten championship …