Home » Breaking News » Kilrush secure huge three points as Fairgreen Celtic shock Shannon
Fairgreen Celtic players celebrate a goal during this year's league campaign.

Kilrush secure huge three points as Fairgreen Celtic shock Shannon

A huge weekend of soccer action saw four sides book their spots in the Ennis Carpets Clare Cup semi-final. Meanwhile, Kilrush Rangers picked up a precious three points in their battle to avoid the drop in the Maloney Hardware Premier Division.

Kilrush Rangers jumped to sixth in the Maloney Hardware Premier Division as they secured a vital win over fellow relegation battlers Coole FC. Both these sides are battling to avoid finishing second from bottom, which would mean they would have to face the team that finishes third in the First Division to secure their status. This was Kilrush Rangers’ most important win of the season.

They beat Coole FC 3-1 despite only being able to call upon 12 first team players on the day. Jamie Griffin opened the scoring when he cut through the Coole defence while they doubled their lead after 30 minutes when Jack Cleary reacted quickest to an early ball in to the box. Coole did manage to pull a goal back on the hour mark, but Filip Ryzmer grabbed his side’s third on 70 minutes to ensure Kilrush picked up a huge three points and leave Coole in the dreaded eighth spot.

Meanwhile, in the Ennis Carpets Clare Cup, Fairgreen Celtic FC pulled off a sensational comeback to beat Shannon Town on penalties. The sides were deadlocked at 3-3 after normal and full time before the newly formed Ennis side won 4-1 in the shootout. Despite Dean Coughlan firing in for Fair Green in the opening half, they found themselves 3-1 down at the break.

However, they produced a terrific second half display as Coughlan pulled one back before Lee Clohessy grabbed the equaliser. Neither side could find the winning goal with a penalty shootout needed to separate the teams. It was the Third Division outfit that kept their cool as Sean Corry, Ross McCarthy, Clohessy and Coughlan all rifled home to spark jubilant celebrations.

A Darragh Corry brace helped Tulla United qualify for the semi final stage of the Clare Cup for only the fifth time in the 53 year history of the club. They ended the memorable run of Kilkishen Celtic when securing a 4-1 win. Corry was felled inside the box inside the opening 10 minutes with Jack McSweeney converting from 12 yards. Corry headed his side two in front before before incessant pressure forced an own goal to leave it 3-0 at half time.

Corry slotted home a fourth on the hour mark before Kilkishen Celtic grabbed a late consolation through Conor Henry.

Avenue United maintained their hopes of defending their title when they beat Newmarket Celtic B 3-0. David Russell’s side defeated Newmarket’s flagship side in the previous round and showed few signs of slipping up here.

Tomás Hehir got Avenue off the mark after half an hour and despite controlling the game, the reigning champions had to settle for a one goal half time lead. Elias Kunz doubled his side’s advantage before he added another to book Avenue’s spot in the final four.

Lifford AFC secured a 3-2 win over a gutsy Shannon Town B side. This means that the Ennis side are still on for a potential double as they prepare for the Hugh Kelly League Cup final.

Paul Martin moved the winners in front before Town hit back to level the contest. However, Lifford showed their class with Keith Shea and Eddie Killeen moving them in to a two goal lead. Even though Shannon Town B scored late to set up a nervy finale, a Lifford side inspired by Killeen, who finished with a goal and assist, held on.

About Ivan Smyth

Check Also

All the details for tomorrow night’s homecoming to celebrate Clare’s All Ireland winners

Clare County Council will host a homecoming for the Clare Senior Hurling Team who defeated …