THE Golden Vale Clare Community Games competitions for 2011 got underway at the weekend when the indoor soccer was played at Corofin.
Co-ordinated by Pat Leamy from Quin-Clooney, the girls’ competition was staged on Saturday when Inch-Connolly-Kilmaley and Kilnamona came out on top with Cooraclare-Cree the winners.
The standard of competition was high and the winners in each competition will now go forward to contest the Munster finals, which will be staged in Limerick on March 26.
The members of the Inch-Connolly-Kilmaley team that won the girls’ U-15 title are Lauren McGuane, Chloe McAleer, Aishling Cregan, Alisha Pyne, Rebecca Connellan, Sarah Healy, Sharon Moloney and Aoife Talty. In the final, they had a 3-1 win over Kilnamona with the goals coming from Lauren McGuane (2) and Chloe McAleer.
Kilnamona, winners of the girls’ U-13 title, had Teresa and Andrea O’Keeffe, Michaela Roughan, Chloe O’Neill, Chloe McNamara, Róisín Clancy, Sinéad Power and Sorcha Burke as members of their team.
The members of the Cooraclare-Cree team that won the boys’ U-15 title are Pearse Lillis, Killian Burke, Keith Marrinan, Jack Morrissey, Shane O’Donoghue, Seán O’Neill, Killian Roche and Shane McNamara.
In all, Inch-Connolly-Kilmaley had four teams in the finals. The girls’ U-13 team of Áine Ronan, Emma Pyne, Abagail Connellan, Sinéad Rooney, Saoirse Glynn and Gráinne Cooney won fourth-place certificates. They had two teams in the boys’ U-15.
Team A comprised Seán and Aidan Kennedy, Seán O’Loughlin, Eanna McMahon, Joseph Carmody and Jack Lynch. Team B, comprising Ronan Grace, Bryan Colleran, Paraic McNamara, David Cleary, Cillian Gregan and Cathal Fitzgerald, won silver medals losing out on penalties, 1-4, in the final against Cooraclare-Cree.
On the way to the final, they beat Clooney-Quin 3-0, Crusheen 4-0, Killimer 3-0 before drawing with Cooraclare-Cree, 1-1. Paraic McNamara and Bryan Colleran were their goalscorers.
Corofin will again be the venue on this Sunday when the boys’ U-13 indoor soccer competition will take place. Sixteen teams have entered and the action will get underway at 9am.
Art and model-making
IN the region of 700 boys and girls are expected to converge at CBS in Ennis on this Saturday for the county finals of the art and model-making competitions.
The winners will go forward to represent Clare in the national finals, which will be held in Athlone. This Saturday’s finals will commence at 10am.
There was great talent on display at the Quin/Clooney area talent competition, which took place in Quin Community Hall last Saturday. The judges were very impressed with the amount of talent that was exhibited at the event organised by Carol O’Neill for the second year running. The first and second prize winners in each category will represent the area at the county final which will take place on Saturday, March 5 in Sixmilebridge.
Group music U-14
1. Áine Nash, Eimhin Dunne, Tadhg Shanahan, Donal O’Criodan, Ulick O’Sullivan and Paul Hogan; 2. David Barbotin and Alex McConway; 3. Oisín Egan, Conal Egan, Hannah Conneally, Aoife Guilfoyle and Donagh O’Sullivan.
Group singing U-14
1. Alex O’Neill, Jennifer O’Neill, Kayleigh O’Reagan, Niamh O’Donnell, Alice O’Donnell and Laura Cronin; 2. Darragh Ryan, David Rochford and Anthony O’Donnell; 3. Sarah Rochford, Frieda Parker and Lauren Wall.
Group modern disco dancing U-14
1. Douglas Reddan, Harry McCarthy, Aoife Deane, Rachel McCarthy, Róisín Keogh and Shona Hale.
Group dance Irish contemporary U-14
1. Mary Conneally, Hannah Conneally, Aisling McMahon, Aoife Guilfoyle and Amber Ryan.
Solo singing U-14
1. Conor Coughlan; 2. Alex O’Neill; 3. Jennifer O’Neill.
Solo music U-14
1. Sophie Barbotin; 2. Donal O’Criodan; 3. Aisling McMahon.
1. Emma Duggan; 2. Leah O’Neill; 3. David Rochford.
1. Aoibhe Crowe; 2. Laura Griffin; 3. Caoimhe Halpin; 4. Caitlin Earle; 5. Hazel Halpin/Aoife Griffin.
1. Aileen Reidy; 2. Sarah Sheehan; 3. Ellen Griffin; 4. Louise Coffey.
1. Áine Garry. 2. Rorsm Ní Cheallaigh; 3. Siobhán Kelly; 4. Aoife Ní Ghormain.
1. Yvonne Collins; 2. Eimear Stephens; 3. Aisling Hehir; 4. Rachel Griffin.
1. Áine Kelly; 2. Lorraine Kelly; 3. Rebecca Cahill; 4. Kellie Moloney.
1. Jack Faughnan; 2. Adam Downes; 3. Fionn Cotter; 4. Dean fAarr’man; 5. Matthew Culleton.
1. Paul Sheehan; 2. Luke Ayers; 3. Cormac Moynihan; 4. Oisín Cahill.
1. Mike Kirwan; 2. Dean Brassil; 3. Oisín Griffin; 4. Brendan Collins-Maynard.
1. Cormac Reidy; 2. Aidan Sheehan; 3. Jack Markham; 4. Seán Culligan.
1. Gregory Allard; 2. Gary Lordan; 3. Matthew Spicer; 4. Gerard Fitzgerald.
Next weekend, the table tennis competition will take place at St Anne’s School in Ennis at 6pm on Friday evening (February 18).
The choir competition will take place on the same evening at 7pm while on Saturday, February 18, the draughts competition will be held at Tulla. The handball competition will commence on Monday, February 21.