Home » Sports » Flynn’s goal proves decisive

Flynn’s goal proves decisive

Avenue’s Gary Flynn tussles with Mark O’Malley. n David Smyth takes the ball past ­Newmarket’s Michael Devitt. Photograph by John Kelly

Newmarket Celtic   0

Avenue United       1

(after extra time)

Gary Flynn scored the decisive goal for Avenue United in the first minute of extra-time in this Munster Junior Cup tie played at McDonough Park in Newmarket on Sunday morning.

The match was scheduled for Lees Road but, following heavy rain on Saturday, soccer games scheduled for the Lees Road venue were moved and Avenue opted to go to Newmarket.
The meeting of two of the premier league’s leading sides aroused a lot of interest and it was no surprise that extra-time was required to separate the teams.
The game produced few chances, with most of the play in the midfield area. The respective defences held firm.
Overall, Avenue looked the better-balanced side on the day and just about deserved their narrow victory.
The all-important goal came after a fine move involving Colin Smith, Pa Wilson and David Smith before Flynn ran on to the latter’s cross to shoot low to the corner of the net. Avenue were reduced to 10 men before half-time, when Mattie Nugent was sent off. In the second half, Newmarket were also reduced to 10 players, when Seamus Lawlor saw red.
Avenue United: John Healy; Simon Cuddy, Mattie Nugent, Con Collins, Colin Smith, Pa Wilson, Dave McCarthy, David Herlihy, Alan Roche, David Smith, Barry Nugent.
Subs: Gary Flynn for McCarthy; Eamonn O’Reilly for D Smith.
Newmarket Celtic: Marty Whelan; Mark O’Malley, Michael Devitt, Eoin O’Brien, Pa Coughlan, Mike O’Malley, Seamus Lawlor, Michael Crosbie, Gary Collins, David Wall, Martin O’Neill.
Subs: Simon Malone for Coughlan; Seamus Considine for Collins Mark Donnellan for Devitt.

About News Editor

Check Also

Semi-final spots up for grabs in race for Canon Hamilton

Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Finals Newmarket-on-Fergus v Wolfe Tones @ Cusack Park, Saturday 1.30pm A golden …