Home » Regional » Shannon » Dangers of carbon monoxide highlighted by EI Electronics

Dangers of carbon monoxide highlighted by EI Electronics

FOLLOWING a recent high-profile tragedy, a Shannon company has drawn attention to the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected as being behind the Kinsale hotel tragedy and Michael Guinee, managing director of EI Electronics, said the dangers need to be known.
“It is high time the role of carbon monoxide alarms in the prevention of these unnecessary deaths,” he commented.
“Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of the combustion process of burning any fossil fuel – gas, oil or solid fuel and because it is colourless, odourless, tasteless and invisible its presence cannot be detected by the human senses. Hence, it is known as the silent killer. Household appliances such as boilers, cookers, solid-fuel burners, open fires, and so on, all produce some levels of carbon monoxide and it is normally exhausted safely into the atmosphere via chimneys and flues. However, malfunctioning appliances, cracked chimneys or blocked flues can result in these flue gases leaking into the living areas of the home, with devastating consequences,” he added.
Carbon monoxide is absorbed by red blood cells in preference to oxygen, which results in oxygen starvation and rapid damage to the heart and lungs. Initial symptoms aren’t dissimilar to thing like ’flu or food poisoning and can often be misdiagnosed by doctors. Exposure to higher levels results in unconsciousness and death, underlining the importance of an adequate alarm, manufactured to the appropriate standard.
EI Electronics is a 100% Irish-owned private company. It is long established in Shannon and employs 300 people. All business functions, marketing, R&D and manufacturing are all located in its 12,000 square metre facility.

 

About News Editor

Avatar

Check Also

Gut Instinct Leads to Alex’s Quick Diagnosis

THERE is nothing stronger than the paternal bond and when a child is sick there …

error: Content is protected !!