Clare County Fire and Rescue Service has issued an appeal to the public to remain fire safety aware over the Christmas period.
The fire service says the main causes of fire during the festive season are candles left unprotected, fairy lights left on all night or improperly wired, Christmas trees falling over, open fires without fireguards, and decorations catching fire.
Clare chief fire officer Adrian Kelly says people should familiarise themselves with the fire safety advice available on www.clarecoco.ie and www.fireireland.ie.
He added, “Christmas is a time for celebrating with families but it also is a time when extra fire hazards appear such as fairy lights, candles, open fires and decorations. I encourage householders across Clare to think about fire safety ahead of and during the Christmas period to avoid the risk of their Christmas being ruined.”
“Open fires are used for longer periods during the winter and Christmas period as people spend a lot more time at home. Electrical items and extension leads are also used more. Add in flammable decorations, candles and alcohol and it becomes apparent that the risks increase during the festive season,” stated Mr. Kelly.