Home » Breaking News (page 381)

Breaking News

Shannon Airport reopens

SHANNON Airport has now reopened following a fire on an Omni Boeing 767-300 aircraft this morning, which resulted in its runway being blocked for a number of hours. In a statement this afternoon, Shannon Group said, “Shannon Group has confirmed that thanks to the swift response of the Shannon Airport emergency services team, the airport reopened at 11.15am after the successful removal of a plane from the runway following an incident earlier this morning. As there has been flight disruption, intending passengers have been asked to contact their airlines. Updates are available on the airport social media channels. We would like to extend our thanks to the IAA (Shannon Tower Business Unit) and our airline partners for their support in the management of the incident.”

Read More »

Shannon flights grounded, but no serious injuries

AN issue with an Omni Air International aircraft on Shannon’s runway has resulted in the suspension of all flights at Shannon this morning. On approach to Shannon the aircraft can be seen from the roadway, with a number of emergency vehicles around it. In a statement Omni Air International said, “We are investigating reports of an incident involving Omni Air International flight 531 at Shannon Airport, Ireland. The Omni Boeing 767-300 aircraft rejected takeoff and was safely evacuated. Initial reports indicate no serious injuries to passengers or crew. “Our primary concern at this time is for their safety. We are participating in the investigation of this incident and will release further information as it becomes available.” It is understood that there was a fire on the aircraft, which became apparent as it moved towards take off. Outbound flights to Tenerife and London have been impacted by the suspension of flights this morning, while three inbound transatlantic services are due by …

Read More »

Shock as Clare People newspaper closes

IN a statement issued today (Tuesday) The Clare People newspaper has announced that it has closed. Since it first published in June 2005 the newspaper had become an integral part of the media fabric of Clare. There was shock and sadness following the announcement, particularly relating to the loss of jobs. “Unfortunately our newspaper cannot continue to sustain the losses we have incurred in delivering a quality product to the people of Clare on a weekly basis in the face of consistently declining circulation and advertising revenues. As a consequence of the rapid impact of the internet and free online platforms, the marketplace for quality local newspapers has changed fundamentally,” the Clare People statement said.  “This is a sad day for staff and all who have been part of The Clare People journey. We are immensely proud of the contribution of all our journalists, photographers, sales and marketing teams, admin and office staff have made to our county, our culture …

Read More »

Three cyclists hospitalised on Sunday morning

THREE cyclists taking part in a race this morning were hospitalised, after one of the competitors clipped a jeep, causing something of a domino effect among a number of other participants. While a number of cyclists were hurt in the incident, none sustained critical injuries. The incident happened in the Clonmoney area, close to the Co-Op store, with the cyclists going in the direction of Newmarket. The road had to be closed after the incident happened at around 11.30am and it reopened around 1pm. No arrests were made and the matter is being investigated by Shannon Gardai. Owen Ryan

Read More »

Public Shouldn’t Fear Proposed Garda Changes

In his first local media interview, Chief Superintendent Seán Colleran, detailed his aspirations for policing in County Clare, how he will be keeping up the fight for resources and he will be taking a hard line on economic fraud. By Carol Byrne CLARE’S Chief Superintendent Seán Colleran has said while he would like to see the Clare Garda Division keep its individual division status, he said the public shouldn’t fear changes proposed under the Future of Policing Plan. Amid local concerns that the Clare Garda Division may be amalgamated with either Tipperary or Galway, the new Clare garda chief says any changes that are made are “designed to improve the service”. Unfortunately if that does happen it may mean that Clare could lose its chief superintendent. The Ballinasloe native says whatever happens there will “certainly be no reduction in services” for Clare. The Future of Policing Plan has made recommendations and Chief Superintendent Colleran acknowledged that these seek to restructure …

Read More »

Do not swim notice issued for Kilkee beach

A do not swim notice has been issued today (Saturday) for Kilkee beach after a discharge of wastewater into the sea. On the advice of the HSE and in the interest of public safety, the public has been advised not to swim. The annual Kilkee Bay Swim was due to take place this weekend. The Blue Flag has been removed from Kilkee beach and has been replaced by red flags.      

Read More »

Clare beef protest continues despite promise of talks

PROTESTS are continuing at the Kepak plant in Tiermaclane this afternoon, despite agreement being reached that the Beef Plan Movement and Meat Industry Ireland enter into talks on Monday. The Tiermaclane protest is no longer being run by Beef Plan, and when the Clare Champion visited the site this afternoon, there were still a number of demonstrators there, while the gates of the plant are locked. Joseph Woulfe is Chair of the Beef Plan movement in the county, but at the site today, he said that Beef Plan are no longer co-ordinating the protest. “People are coming who aren’t members of anything, they’re just coming to air what’s going on with them.” While there are reports today that meetings aimed at resolving the situation will take place on Monday, Mr Woulfe said he has very little information as yet. “I had a message on the phone, saying to stand down and we’re talking to Creed and this kind of thing. …

Read More »