Champion Chatter
Home » Breaking News » Avenue survive cup scare, but Tulla fall to Olympic
Conor Hehir, right, seen in action against Cathal Hayes of Newmarket Celtic - scored in Avenue United's tight victory over Coole FC in the Munster Junior Cup. Photograph by John Kelly

Avenue survive cup scare, but Tulla fall to Olympic

Champion Chatter

A weekend filled with Munster Junior Cup action threw up plenty of interesting ties as Tulla United suffered a surprise defeat while Avenue United survived a scare.

Ray Quigley’s hat trick helped Shannon Olympic produced the result of the round as they beat Tulla United 4-2. Quigley’s trio of goals alongside Jay Regan’s strike helped the Shannon side claim a notable scalp against their Maloney Hardware Premier Division opponents.

Fionn Ryan and Craig McNamara’s goals were not enough to prevent Tulla falling to a surprise defeat.

Avenue United came away with a 2-1 win over Coole FC in a keenly contested encounter. The reigning Maloney Hardware Premier Division league champions were forced to battle hard for the win as an own goal and a Conor Hehir effort saw them through to the next round.

Meanwhile, Newmarket Celtic secured a 3-0 win over Brownies Barbershop Third Division side Fairgreen Celtic.

Paddy Purcell’s side progressed after Ian Collins opened the scoring before Harvey Cullinane’s brace. The latter was denied from the penalty spot on in miserable weather conditions as the newly established Fairgreen Celtic produced a battling display.

Bridge United secured their passage to the knockout stages as they overcame Kilkishen Celtic 2-1. Mark Colbert’s side Leon Daly opened the scoring before Jordan Downes’ strike after 60 minutes helped the home side move 2-0 in front.

Conor Henry set up Johnnie Fern to pull one back while Dennis Murphy saw a header cleared off the line as Bridge United held on.

A Charlie Morrison hat trick helped Shannon Town secured a 6-2 win over Kilrush Rangers. In this all Maloney Hardware Premier Division tie, Steo Dolan’s side proved too strong as Craig Riordan also fired in a brace with Rory Hayes getting on the scoresheet.

After trailing 3-0, Kilrush Rangers trailed by just one at the break after Eoghan O’Shea and Dean Neary goals before Shannon Town pulled away.

Shannon Hibs secured their passage through to the next round as they overcame Manus Celtic 3-1. James Harty, Stephen Tuohy and Gary Leahy all found the net to help Hibs build upon their early season form.

About Ivan Smyth

Check Also

Two blood donation clinics to take place in Clare next week

The Irish Blood Transfusion Service is to hold two blood donation clinics in Clare next …