Home » Tag Archives: Sixmilebridge (page 3)

Tag Archives: Sixmilebridge

Chasing Clare hurling championship title

THE Clare Senior Hurling Championship will get underway with the meeting of Tulla and Clarecastle on this Friday evening, with all 16 teams in action over the weekend. An opening round victory will mean the threat of relegation from the top grade is eliminated. A new format was introduced last year, which will see one of the eight first-round losers relegated to the intermediate grade for next season. Following the first round, the eight winners will be drawn against each other, while the eight losers will also be drawn to face each other with the four losers going on to battle it out in the relegation play-off. Two of last year’s semi-finalists will find themselves in the losers round, as Sixmilebridge (holders) take on Crusheen and Clonlara (beaten finalists) face Kilmaley this weekend. In the semi-final last year, Clonlara needed a replay to overcome Kilmaley before they disappointed in the final against Sixmilebridge, who went through last season without tasting …

Read More »

Stack looks back with pride and regret

IT’S 38 years since Seán Stack captained Clare to their last national league title but when he presses the refresh button on the bank of memories, tales flow effortlessly. Most of them are of great times, games and life-long friends but an obstinate regret lingers that Clare failed to deliver a Munster title. The absence of a Munster medal irks Stack and always will. His eyes cannot conceal the hurt. Clare played in three league finals in the mid to late 1970s, losing in ’76 to Kilkenny and beating them in ’77 and ’78. They lost three successive provincial finals in that era. “Frightening isn’t it?” Stack said of the speed with which the years have piled up since. “Would you believe I can still feel the sense in the dressing room, the atmosphere in the camp and the build up to the league finals.” As if they togged together last Sunday, Stack can clearly recall who did what in …

Read More »

Insanity verdict in ‘Bridge hostage case

A JURY has returned a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity in the trial of a County Kerry man accused of holding three people hostage at gunpoint at a Sixmilebridge residence last year. Thomas Howard (50) of Gortnaminch, Listowel pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to having a shotgun in his possession with intent to cause robbery, three counts of false imprisonment of a father, daughter and her fiancé and two counts of robbery on July 2, 2015 at Donnybrook Cottage, Sixmilebridge. He also pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to an eighth count, which was the theft of an over and under double-barrel shotgun from a property in County Limerick on a date unknown between June 29, 2015 and July 2, 2015. Detective Garda Roddy Burke told Ennis Circuit Criminal Court on Thursday that matters unfolded at 4.45pm on July 2 last, when a lone male armed with a double-barrel shotgun, wearing a balaclava and dressed in dark clothes, approached Tadhg …

Read More »

Mid May reopening of Ennis Limerick rail line

With the flood waters finally beginning to recede, Iarnród Éireann expects water levels to have dropped sufficiently for a mid May reopening of the railway line between Limerick and Ennis. Extensive flooding on the line at Ballycar had forced the closure of the rail link since last December. Since then bus transfers were in operation between Limerick and Ennis, with a limited service for Sixmilebridge Station, for the duration of the closure. The line flooded following a significant increase in water levels at Ballycar Lough due to the heavy rainfall in December and January, and the nature of inflows and outflows from the lough due to the karst landscape in the area. While the intense rainfall ceased in January, inflows caused flood levels at Ballycar to peak in early March at 1.4 metres above the rail line. This has now fallen to 0.9 metres above the line, with 1.75 miles of track remaining flooded, and Iarnród Éireann forecast that – unless further extreme …

Read More »

Heading for ‘roads up in the clouds’

Care County Council could end up with “roads up in the clouds”, if it continues to raise roads affected by flooding, instead of looking at drainage alternatives, a local councillor has claimed. Flood remedial works on the outskirts of Newmarket-on-Fergus have created problems in other areas in the locality, according to Councillor Alan O’Callaghan. Councillor O’Callaghan told  a recent Killaloe Municipal District meeting that in the region of €300,000 was spent on raising a road in Ballycar to facilitate access for a number of houses, which the householders really appreciated. However, he pointed out that this road was still blocked with water 100 yards further on, which resulted in another portion being raised on two successive occasions. “While works needed to be done on these roads, the bigger picture here is drainage. Or are we going to end up with roads up in the clouds? “Eighty percent of the water could be alleviated, if drains and culverts were being opened. …

Read More »

Syrian refugees to be setteld in Clare

BEFORE the summer, Clare will see the arrival of Syrian refugees who will be housed in Sixmilebridge, Shannon and Newmarket-on-Fergus. At a meeting of Shannon Municipal District on Tuesday, director of services Ger Dollard told the local representatives that 15 to 20 families are to be settled in Clare, with nine of them set to arrive in April or May. These first nine are to be settled in Sixmilebridge, Newmarket-on-Fergus and Shannon. He also said an inter-agency group has been established to facilitate their settlement in the county. Mr Dollard told the members that accommodation costs would be borne by the council’s normal funding. However, he said he had no doubt that the allocation received by the council would reflect the extra demands being made. Speaking afterwards, he said the family sizes would range from three to seven. “We have set up the inter-agency group and it will require all of their involvement. We have been asked, and I can …

Read More »

Garda Alert for missing man

Gardaí are seeking the public’s assistance in tracing the whereabouts of 37-year-old Ross Minihan missing from Rathbane, Limerick City since December 17 last. Mr Minihan is a resident of Sixmilebridge. Ross, who was last seen in Rathbane, Limerick at approximately 10pm on December 15, is described as being 5’7″ in height, of medium build with short brown hair, beard and moustache. It is believed that Ross may have been wearing a black Newcastle United jacket with pink trim, brown corduroy trousers and brown shoes when last seen. Gardaí are concerned for Ross’ welfare and anyone with information is asked to contact Roxboro Road Garda Station on 061 214340, The Garda Confidential Line 1800 666111 or any garda sta

Read More »

Garda Alert: Searches continue for missing men

A CANDLELIGHT vigil was held at Barefield parish church on St Stephen’s Day for Michael Bugler, the 20-year-old Ennis man who has gone missing in Galway. The vigil was held at the request of friends of Michael, as the search continues for the missing student. Fr Jerry Carey of Doora Barefield Parish said, “We were contacted by friends of Michael about holding the vigil and we were happy to make it possible”. Some of Michael’s family were in attendance at the event, which drew large crowds. A huge group of volunteers are continuing the search for the missing man in Galway this week. Ahead of the searches, gardaí are briefing volunteers in the grounds of Calasanctius College, Oranmore. Gardaí have launched a public appeal for information on the whereabouts of the law student, who has been missing since the early hours of Friday, December 18. The student, originally from Ennis but now living in Galway where he is attending NUIG, …

Read More »
error: Content is protected !!