Home » Tag Archives: fire

Tag Archives: fire

Clare man killed in Greece wildfires

BRIAN O’Callaghan-Westropp, who was originally from the Shannon/Newmarket area, has died as a result of the wildfires in Greece this week. Brian and his new wife Zoe Holohan had travelled to Greece following their wedding on July 19. At the time of writing Zoe is receiving treatment in hospital for burns. On Wednesday the death toll from the fires already exceeded 80 and was expected to rise further. In a statement the Holohan and O’Callaghan-Westropp families said they “would respectfully appreciate privacy at this time as we grieve and as Zoe makes her recovery.” Brian worked for a Dublin company called Ready Chef Ltd while he was secretary of Blood Bikes East, a charity that provides an emergency medical transport service between the hospitals in Dublin and the Greater Leinster area. Franco De Bonis of Blood Bikes East described Brian as “a big presence, a man of action, who wasn’t afraid to get things done and help out.” Brian became …

Read More »

Person Detained Over Mountshannon Arson

Gardaí in Killaloe have arrested a person in connection with the arson attack on the Holy Island Tours trailer which occurred at Mountshannon Harbour in the early hours of Tuesday morning [June 26] and are currently investigating a second arson in the same location. Inspector David Finnerty of Killaloe Garda Station said they have arrested a “person of interest” in relation to the arson attack at the harbour on Tuesday and are detaining this individual under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984. Under this provision the suspect can be detained for up to a maximum period of 24 hours. The arrest has come as a result of enquiries carried out by garda on Tuesday and due to the cooperation of members of the public. Gardaí received a report this morning, Thursday, of a fire on a boat in the vicinity of Holy Island Tours, however they confirmed that the boat was unconnected to this business. Although it is …

Read More »

Fire victim identified by DNA

A DNA sample taken from a razor blade belonged to elderly fire victim, was crucial in positively identifying the man’s remains. On April 4 this year, 86-year-old Patrick Behan died after “a very serious inferno” at his home at Tonavoher near Knockerra, Kilrush. An inquest in Ennis heard how high flames and the roof caving in at the home rendered neighbours helpless in any effort to save Mr Behan, who required a walking aid to get around. Neighbour, Tommy Donnellan told the inquest that he was able to see an outline of Mr Behan’s body face down on the floor of the kitchen as the fire raged. His remains were not formally identified until April 12 when DNA analysis came back. Garda Robert Wilson said that gardaí were able to retrieve a razor blade from Mr Behan’s car and in a DNA comparison with tissue from the remains, the authorities positively identified Mr Behan’s remains. A friend of Mr Behan and local farmer, Pat O’Malley gave …

Read More »

Two rescued as engine catches fire

Two people were rescued from Lough Derg yesterday afternoon following a suspected engine fire on board their cruiser. Lough Derg RNLI, based in Dromineer, went to the incident shortly after 2pm following reports that a fire had broken out as the cruiser was travelling from Ballina up the lake. The lifeboat located the 31ft cruiser at anchor off Hare Island, off the County Clare shore. The passengers were safe and unharmed. The skipper had cut his engine and dropped anchor when he noticed black smoke billowing from the engine. When the lifeboat arrived on scene, the engine was no longer issuing smoke and the situation had settled. With an RNLI crew member on board, the cruiser was taken under tow to the public harbour at Dromineer. Meanwhile, Lough Derg RNLI rescued five Indian tourists from a cruiser that ran aground on rocks near Illaunmore, off Whitegate,on Sunday last. The lifeboat located the vessel at 12.47pm and found all passengers to …

Read More »

man treated after Ennis house fire

One man was taken to University Hospital Limerick (UHL) as a precaution following a house fire in Ennis on Sunday . Emergency services were called to the scene after 6pm on Sunday when a fire was reported at a house on the Tulla Road near the entrance to the Castlerock Housing Estate. Two units of the fire brigade, an ambulance and gardaí responded to the incident, arriving within minutes. When firemen arrived they found the house was smoke logged. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house to check there was no one inside. They quickly located a fire in the kitchen area and brought it under control. It is understood the fire originated in the kitchen in the vicinity of the cooker. Firemen also vented the house by opening all the windows and by using positive pressure ventilated fans. This process involves using large petrol driven fans to blow fresh air into the dwelling and to get rid of any smoke. No major external damage was caused to the outside of the building. One man was treated at the scene by National Ambulance Service paramedics and was later taken to University Hospital Limerick (UHL) as a precaution. The Clare Fire and Rescue Service has categorised the incident as a relatively minor fire as there was no significant injuries or damage.   Dan Danaher  

Read More »

Emergency landing at Shannon

AN American Airlines flight from Miami to Paris was forced to divert to Shannon this morning. It is understood that an emergency landing was required due to signs of a fire in the cargo hold. Emergency services met the plane upon it landing. American Airlines have tweeted that they expect the flight to leave Shannon again at around 1pm. One of the passengers on board tweeted, “Great start to our European adventure. We’re safe. Looks like it was a false alarm.” He also put up a picture of the plane alongside two fire brigades and an ambulance as well as a number of emergency services personnel and passengers.  

Read More »

Fire service warning on stoves

THE danger of an incorrectly installed stove flue was highlighted, when a fire broke out at a home in Ennis last week. Units of the fire service based in Ennis were called to a house for what was first thought to be a chimney fire. However, it emerged that the fire was the result of an incorrectly installed stove flu. This latest incident has prompted Clare County Fire and Rescue Service to renew the appeal it made just last month for householders to review the building regulations relating to heat-producing appliances and to ensure stoves and flues are installed correctly. The fire service said the rising popularity of stoves in recent years has led to an increase in emergency call-outs to stove-related domestic fires and incidences of carbon monoxide build-up in homes across Clare. Adrian Kelly, Clare chief fire officer, said, “Fires can occasionally be due to the poor installation of stoves and flues. Some of these fires have caused …

Read More »

Christmas fire risk warning

Clare County Fire and Rescue Service has issued an appeal to the public to remain fire safety aware over the Christmas period. The fire service says the main causes of fire during the festive season are candles left unprotected, fairy lights left on all night or improperly wired, Christmas trees falling over, open fires without fireguards, and decorations catching fire. Clare chief fire officer Adrian Kelly says people should familiarise themselves with the fire safety advice available on www.clarecoco.ie and www.fireireland.ie. He added, “Christmas is a time for celebrating with families but it also is a time when extra fire hazards appear such as fairy lights, candles, open fires and decorations. I encourage householders across Clare to think about fire safety ahead of and during the Christmas period to avoid the risk of their Christmas being ruined.” “Open fires are used for longer periods during the winter and Christmas period as people spend a lot more time at home. Electrical …

Read More »