Home » Tag Archives: club bridge

Tag Archives: club bridge

1916 memorial unveiled in Ennis

The unveiling of an artwork in Ennis commemorating the 100th anniversary of the 1916 Rising was attended by members of the Defence Forces joined, politicians, musicians and the local community. Located at Club Bridge adjacent to the Easter Rising Memorial Stone installed in 1966, The Centurial Sphere’ and its unveiling marks the centrepiece of an 80 event Centenary Programme in Clare. Commissioned by Clare County Council, Kilkee-based sculptor Paddy Murray’s artwork is an internally-illuminated steel sphere that has been galvanised and lacquered to appear verdigris, while it is placed on a plinth provided by Pat McInerney and Noel O’Halloran of Ballykett Quarry. The Sphere carries lines from poems and songs about and from different parts of Clare celebrating the county’s cultural tradition, a tradition cherished by the men and women of 1916. With the support of Ennis Civic Trust the surrounding site, which was developed in 1966 using stones from all over the county representing the involvement of all areas of …

Read More »

Sluice gates fittings a ‘major find’

THE discovery of iron fittings attached to old sluice gates in Ennis dating back to the mid-1800s has been described as significant find in the industrial heritage of the county town. That’s the view of Clare County architectural conservation officer and archaeologist, Risteard UaCróinín after archaelogists from Limerick-based ÆGIS Archaeology Limited found a large volume of iron cogs, ratchets, bolts and other iron fitting totalling about a ton, which came from old sluice gates, near the Fish Pass on the Mill Road. These ironworks are now in the possession of Ennis Town Council and may be exhibited at a future date. Consulant archaeologist Frank Coyne, who was part of the team monitoring flood-relief works in the town since last March, agrees this find is very important in assessing the industrial heritage of the town. “They were part of the sluice gates controlling the River Fergus dating to the mid-1800s. The sluice gates rotted and they fell into the river. The …

Read More »
error: Content is protected !!