Home » Tag Archives: Carbon Monoxide

Tag Archives: Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide risk with stoves

Clare County Fire and Rescue Service is urging householders to review the building regulations relating to heat producing appliances to ensure stoves and flues are installed correctly. The rising popularity of stoves in recent years has led to an increase in emergency callouts to stove-related domestic fires and incidences of carbon monoxide build-up in the home, according to the fire service. Adrian Kelly, Clare chief fire officer, said, “Fires can occasionally be due to the poor installation of stoves and flues. Some of these fires have caused substantial damage to the surrounding building and consequently, have put lives at risk. “Stoves burn at very high temperatures and therefore, the appliance and the flues need to be installed correctly. They should be clearly spaced from any timber or combustible materials. Insulated flues that pass through ceilings and walls need to be spaced and/or encased correctly.” Current guidance advises that when a new heating stove is installed, carbon Monoxide detectors should be …

Read More »

Carbon Monoxide can kill

With over 50,000 solid fuel stoves and oil boilers installed each year in Ireland, OFTEC is raising awareness of the dangers associated with these and all fuel appliances during Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, which is running from Monday next. In Ireland, every year carbon monoxide poisoning causes the death of up to six people and makes many more ill. OFTEC, which represents the domestic oil heating, cooking and solid fuel installers in Ireland, is supporting Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week for the fifth year in a row and is highlighting the particularly high risk associated with the recent growth in stoves across the country. Through its technicians, the trade body has found that many householders are still unaware of the risks of the potentially deadly substance in relation to fossil fuels and preventative measures that they should be taking. OFTEC Ireland Manager David Blevings said,“Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas which in high levels can kill in as little as …

Read More »
error: Content is protected !!