Home » Tag Archives: Adrian Kelly

Tag Archives: Adrian Kelly

‘challenging’ turnover in fire services personnel

THE brain drain from the county’s fire services could lead to a  situation where “inexperienced” fire personnel are attending fires, it has been claimed. The assertion was made by Councillor Ian Lynch after it emerged that 22 personnel have left the fire brigade in the county over the past three years. Chief Fire Officer, Adrian Kelly described the loss of staff as “a larger than normal turnover in personnel” and something that creates challenges for Clare County Council. The information was disclosed on foot of a motion raised by Councillors Johnny Flynn, Gerry Flynn, Christy Curtin, Michael Begley, PJ Kelly and Ian Lynch at Monday’s local authority meeting. They had looked for a report into the sustainability of the retained mfirefighter model. In his response, Adrian Kelly outlined that of those that had left the service, six retired on medical grounds, four retired having reached retirement age, two took up promotional posts with other fire authorities, four took up other …

Read More »

Smoke alarm vital for fire safety

The importance of having working smoke alarms installed in the home is the key message being promoted by Clare County Fire and Rescue Service during National Fire Safety Week 2017, which commences on Monday. As open fires, stoves and other heating appliances go into winter mode, the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government is hosting the 16th annual all-island initiative in association with the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service and locally with Clare County Fire and Rescue Service. The theme of this year’s safety campaign is “What Can You do to STOP Fire?”. The ‘STOP’ in the campaign slogan captures the key behaviours that will help people stop fires starting and therefore reducing the number of casualties and deaths as a result of fire. S is for Smoke alarms, T is for Testing smoke alarms weekly, O is for Obvious dangers, P is for Plan your escape. “Unfortunately on average 40 people die in Ireland each year as …

Read More »

Fire service warning on stoves

THE danger of an incorrectly installed stove flue was highlighted, when a fire broke out at a home in Ennis last week. Units of the fire service based in Ennis were called to a house for what was first thought to be a chimney fire. However, it emerged that the fire was the result of an incorrectly installed stove flu. This latest incident has prompted Clare County Fire and Rescue Service to renew the appeal it made just last month for householders to review the building regulations relating to heat-producing appliances and to ensure stoves and flues are installed correctly. The fire service said the rising popularity of stoves in recent years has led to an increase in emergency call-outs to stove-related domestic fires and incidences of carbon monoxide build-up in homes across Clare. Adrian Kelly, Clare chief fire officer, said, “Fires can occasionally be due to the poor installation of stoves and flues. Some of these fires have caused …

Read More »

Christmas fire risk warning

Clare County Fire and Rescue Service has issued an appeal to the public to remain fire safety aware over the Christmas period. The fire service says the main causes of fire during the festive season are candles left unprotected, fairy lights left on all night or improperly wired, Christmas trees falling over, open fires without fireguards, and decorations catching fire. Clare chief fire officer Adrian Kelly says people should familiarise themselves with the fire safety advice available on www.clarecoco.ie and www.fireireland.ie. He added, “Christmas is a time for celebrating with families but it also is a time when extra fire hazards appear such as fairy lights, candles, open fires and decorations. I encourage householders across Clare to think about fire safety ahead of and during the Christmas period to avoid the risk of their Christmas being ruined.” “Open fires are used for longer periods during the winter and Christmas period as people spend a lot more time at home. Electrical …

Read More »
Emergency services at the scene of a fire on Market Street, Ennis.

Ennis building gutted after fire

  A derelict building in the centre of Ennis was gutted following a fire on Thursday night. The Clare Fire Service were called to the scene of a fire in the former O’Neill’s Furniture Store in Lower Market Street, Ennis at around 9.41 pm. Three units of the Ennis Fire Brigade and one from Shannon worked to bring the fire under control. It is understood that the blaze started at the rear of the unused premises, which fronts onto Carmody Street and quickly spread to the front part. The road near the building was closed off while the firemen were battling the blaze and traffic was diverted with the assistance of Ennis Gardaí. One person in an adjoining property was evacuated as a result of suffering from what was described by Clare Chief Fire Officer, Adrian Kelly as a small amount of smoke inhalation and treated by ambulance personnel. Having secured and tided up the building, the last fire brigade left …

Read More »

Smoking targeted in fire safety week

The dangers of smoking in the home and the importance of having working smoke alarms installed will be the key messages promoted during National Fire Safety Week. The Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government will host the 15th annual all-island initiative from Monday next, in association with the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service and locally with Clare County Fire & Rescue Service. “Smoking at Home Can Cause Fatal Fires”, is the theme of this year’s event, which takes into account the significant number of domestic fires started each year as a result of burning cigarettes. “Unfortunately on average 36 people die in Ireland each year as a result of fire. House fires account for the vast majority of these fires,” said Adrian Kelly, Clare Chief Fire Officer. “The cause of these fires ranged from heavily sooted and blocked chimneys, smoking in the home, burning rubbish, electrical faults and most alarmingly from children playing with matches or candles. …

Read More »

Safety training for home care workers

A new fire safety training programme specifically designed for home care workers could soon be rolled out countrywide, having been developed and piloted in Clare. Developed by Ennis-based Caring for Carers Ireland (CFCI), in partnership with Clare County Fire and Rescue Service, the programme is aimed at improving fire safety and home security for people who are living independently and in need of medium to high caring support. The first training session took place at Ennis Fire Station at the weekend, and involved the participation of community-based staff of Caring for Carers Ireland who are providing the organisation’s home care service to families in their own homes. Presenting certificates to 12 participants, Cathaoirleach of Clare County Council, John spoke about the importance of organisations working in partnership and the added benefits of such working partnerships. He also praised the work undertaken by home care workers and how important it is to local communities. Adrian Kelly, chief fire officer, Clare County …

Read More »

Fire service retains international certification

Clare County Fire and Rescue Services has yet again received national and international recognition for its efforts to protect the safety, health and welfare of its employees. The Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems certification was first published by the National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI) in 2007 and sets out a preventative and proactive approach to identifying workplace hazards and assessing and controlling risk. Clare County Fire and Rescue Service was first awarded the OHSAS 18001:2007 – the only auditable international standard for health and safety – in 2014 and is one of only five fire authorities in the country that have attained the accreditation. Cathaoirleach of Clare County Council, John Crowe has welcomed the announcement describing, the service’s commitment to maintaining health and safety standards to the highest level as “critically important for both Fire Service personnel and the general public whom they serve. Tom Coughlan, chief executive of Clare County Council added, “From the perspective of promoting …

Read More »