Home » Lifestyle » Stoves must be installed properly

Stoves must be installed properly

As winter approaches, OFTEC, which represents the domestic oil heating and cooking industry in Ireland, is warning householders of the dangers of solid and multi-fuel stoves. This follows an increasing number of incidents across the country this year, including high-profile incidents in Wexford.

There has been major growth in the sales of stoves in Ireland in recent years and as many as 40,000 are estimated to be sold here annually. Research commissioned by Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week (Monday to Saturday) illustrates a low awareness amongst consumers of the connection between carbon monoxide and fossil fuels, including home heating oil, with only 50% of consumers aware of the potential risk with oil heating and just 40% for coal.

OFTEC Ireland manager, David Blevings said, “Whilst solid fuel stoves have fast become a trendy centre-piece in the homes of many families, people need to be aware of the dangers and ensure they are installed and maintained correctly. If a flue is installed incorrectly this can lead to a fire starting in the attic or a carbon monoxide leak into the property with potentially deadly consequences. Like all fuel burning appliances, they should only be installed by a competent person and then serviced at least once a year for optimum safety and peace of mind.”

Pictured at the Gas Networks Ireland stand at the 2015 National Ploughing Championships were Laura Quinlivan and Aine O’Connell from Clare with Tommy McAnairey, helping to educate visitors about the lethal gas, carbon monoxide.
Pictured at the Gas Networks Ireland
stand at the National Ploughing Championships, Laura Quinlivan and Aine O’Connell from Clare with Tommy McAnairey, helping to educate visitors about the lethal gas, carbon monoxide.

“Our advice on stoves is simple, use a competent person for your solid fuel installation work to ensure it is carried out professionally and correctly to current building regulation standards.”

The trade body is working to highlight this issue during the annual Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week; a public safety initiative organised by the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) and supported by public bodies and energy organisations.

For more information and Carbon Monoxide Awareness advice visit: www.carbonmonoxide.ie.

Check Also

Rural Crime issues to be addresed at Clare IFA meeting

CLARE IFA chairman, Willie Hanrahan, is encouraging farm families to attend the organisations executive meeting …